I'm exhausted! But, a good exhausted. Today, with the help of Brandon, my house got cleaned. Thoroughly. Dusted, swept, mopped, vacuumed, scrubbed, laundry done . . . I was even able to hang my whites outside because it was warm enough. Probably the last time this year that will happen!
And, now, Brandon's off playing tennis with his brothers. We were going to go hang out with them, but a certain someone (Scott) has been putting his homework off later and later and later. I finally told him he had no choice but to do it. We're trying to teach him to be responsible for his homework, and let him know that he had the choice of when to do it. Well, tonight, he wanted to go watch dad play tennis, and I said no. Homework wasn't done, so no go. He was pretty upset with me.
But, with Brandon gone, the boys in bed (although, I've seen Braden & Gavin up here at least 5 times - B with a stomachache), I've been able to unwind a little bit. I've been playing Christmas music on the piano. There's almost nothing that will help me calm down and unwind faster than Christmas music.
And, I don't mean the bouncy "Santa Clause is Coming" or "Santa Baby" or even "Sleigh Ride" although I do love those ones (okay, NOT Santa Baby - I can't stand that one, but it's a title that popped up in my head.) I'm talking about the sacred ones. "O Holy Night" and "The First Noel" and "Breath of Heaven." Songs like that. My absolute favorite, though, is "Silent Night." I've heard so many versions of "Silent Night" but it is still my favorite Christmas song by far.
I was playing these arrangements by Marvin Goldstein. If you can't play the piano, you should get a CD or two of his. (I've never actually heard his CD's, but based on his music that I play, I imagine it would be incredible!) His music is great. He's got everything from hymn arrangements, to Christmas, to arrangements from the children's songbook. I love playing his music. I've played others like David Glenn Hatch, and, in my opinion, Marvin Goldstein is the best.
So, there's no real point to this post. I'm just rambling really - helping me unwind this last little bit before bed. But, if you're uptight, wound up, stressed . . . head to your Christmas music, pick something that really speaks to you and that you know can help calm you down, sit quietly (if that's possible with kids and the noise in your head buzzing around) and just listen. It'll work.
Christmas is coming - soon. I'm not saying to listen to Christmas music everyday, already. That would drive me nuts. But, on those occasions when it just seems too much for me, I can always count on "Silent Night" to make me feel better. Who wouldn't feel better after listening to a song about our Savior's birth?
Saturday, October 17, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
You've probably heard Manheim Steamroller's "Stille Nacht"? That's my favorite version - both to hear and to play :)
Glad you got some "you time" and you could unwind!
Thanks for the reminder to do things that work for you. :) I miss singing Christmas songs with you, Renee...or really any songs with you while you play. *sigh* Those were the days. Maybe it's time to bust out the Christmas music for my guitar, because it makes me feel the same way.
Can't wait to hear about baby Shaffer coming! :) Any time now, right?
Post a Comment